FrOGs (Friends of Gilmont)
Services, Retreats, Dining, Request Info
Ministry, Register, Employment
At the turn of the century, Gilmont was home to a sawmill. The pond that greets guests as they enter the camp was used to cool equipment and maneuver the heavy logs. Campers still run across a “rare rusty relic” as evidence from this time period.
As a place of ministry, Gilmont’s roots run deep to the 1940′s when a few members of the Presbyterian church purchased and set aside the 400 acre treasure that we still take pleasure in today. We thank God for their faith, investment, and commitment. A ministry of the Presbyterian Church, Gilmont was originally acquired by them as a place for summer camp for members of what was then Paris Presbytery.
With the merge of 3 Presbyteries (Central, North-Central and East Texas), into one, the combined, Grace Presbytery had 3 camps, which over time became too much to administer and manage. Gilmont was ceded by Grace Presbytery in 1994, to a group of Presbyterian churches in East Texas, many with members who had grown fond of the camp as children. Again, we credit the faith, investment, and commitment of a few Presbyterian individuals who stepped up and formed Presbyterian Camps at Gilmont, Inc. a 501(c)(3) Corporation. Their actions affirmed that Gilmont would continue to be a place of ministry.
The corporate church membership has changed over the years, since 1994, and is still open today to new membership. And, as of 2013 membership in the corporation has extended to Protestant denominations in the region.
In the midst of a growing, sprawling, and often chaotic world, Gilmont’s 400+ acres of lush forest, hills and lakes are a treasured destination for the spiritual growth and development of the young and young at heart. Our ministry remains rooted in reformed faith tradition, where the love and grace of a forgiving God is made evident in the beauty of creation and in relationship with his son Jesus Christ.